Spring Hill Parish was originally built in 1711 as a chapel of ease, or a dependent church built for the ease or accommodation of the increasing members of Stepney Parish. It was also more convenient for parishioners who lived a distance from Green Hill Church.
The original church was built on a tract of land owned by Colonel Francis Jenkins. Upon his death it was inherited by his widow, later known as Madam Mary Hampton. She turned over the title for the land to the vestry in November of 1738. In the present church, a plaque that sanctions her rights is attached to the west wall.
The first building fell into a state of disrepair and was commissioned to be rebuilt in 1771. The Rev.. Alexander Adams was principally responsible for the rebuilding of the church. He petitioned for the reconstruction in 1768. However, he did not live to see the Spring Hill church rebuilt.
John Hobbs, a satisfactory workman, was the carpenter of the present edifice. The structure that stands today was completed in 1773. The first rector of the new structure was The Rev. John Scott from Prince William County, Virginia.
The name Spring Hill was given because it was originally built on a all part of land with a spring bubbling from the top of a small hill.
The small chapel is approximately sixty-one feet long, forty-one feet wide, and forty feet high. It is located just off Route 50 north of Hebron, MD. The church is of wooden frame construction, and the dual double door openings, authenticate of the original construction, are a unique and distinguishing feature of the church. A six foot tall wooden cross sits atop the church’s peaked roof.
The parish house of the church was erected in 1925 through the tremendous efforts of the Women’s Guild. They assisted in additions and improvements to the church that totaled $25,000. The improvements also received support from the bishop, the rector, every member of the parish, and friends from other parishes as well.
Spring Hill Church will always be a hallowed, unpretentious place in the hearts of all its members.
- The land on which St. Paul’s Episcopal Church stands was once an Indian battlefield.
- The first priest was suspected of being a Tory, loyal to the King of England. He was exiled to Frederick County and fined 500 pounds.
- During the American Revolution the church suffered less damage than other churches, the greatest loss being the outside shutters supposedly used for firewood.
- The year 1868 was important as it marked Wicomico becoming a county, and the establishment of the Diocese of Easton.
- The longest time for Spring Hill to go without a rector was from 1944 -1956.
- Women were first given the right to vote in parish meetings in 1955.
- The current brick walkway was installed in 1973 for the 200th anniversary of the church.